Money and finance

Reduce your childcare bills

There are lots of different ways you can get support to reduce your childcare costs. Take a look at our childcare costs section. If you would like to talk to someone about what support might be available please contact the York Family Information Service.

Money Advice

The Money Advice Service helps people manage their money. They do this directly through their own free and impartial advice service. They also work in partnership with other organisations to help people make the most of their money. They're an independent service, set up by government. They also have an informative section on how to look after your money during different life events for example setting up home and having a baby.

If you're a customer of Jobcentre Plus you can get a personalised return to work calculation to help you see how going back to work will make a difference to your finances. For more information contact your local Jobcentre Plus.

Child maintenance

Child maintenance is regular, reliable financial support that helps towards a child’s everyday living costs. The parent who doesn’t have main day-to-day care of the child pays child maintenance to the parent or person (such as a grandparent or guardian) who does, but it can be about more than just money. Child Maintenance Options have more information.


Financial assistance are often available through grant giving charities depending on you background and circumstances. Turn2us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.  If you need to use the internet and don’t have access at home, you can always use libraries, children’s centres or the computers in West Offices.

The York Financial Assistance Scheme (YFAS) provides one support package solution for residents in financial difficulty. There are two types of YFAS assistance:

  • YFAS Emergency Assistance – this is to help with a disaster or crisis; and 
  • YFAS Community Assistance – this is to help with a return to the community or to help customers to remain in the community. This can also help ease exceptional financial pressure on families, for example providing help to attend a funeral or with visiting a relative who is ill. 

Financial assistance will be targeted at those most in need and will assist in allowing residents to continue to live in our communities.

If you or someone in your family has a disability or additional need then Family Fund may be able to help with a grant, alternatively, you may want to try a national charity related to the condition.


Make sure you’ve had a full benefits check and that you’re claiming everything you’re entitled to.  The benefits system is complicated and can be difficult to navigate so there is support to help you.  (If you are going to check a benefits check, you will need some documents and information to hand)

Macmillan Cancer Support

Cancer is the toughest fight most of us will ever face. But you and your family don’t have to go through it alone. The Macmillan team is with you every step of the way, from the nurses and therapists helping you through treatment to the campaigners improving cancer care. For cancer support every step of the way call Macmillan on 0808 808 00 00 (Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm) or visit


Turn2us is a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations. Our website can help you find financial support, quickly and easily, based on your circumstances. It features a free and easy to use Benefits Calculator, Grants Search and other information and resources. Turn2us is part of Elizabeth Finn Care.

Local Area Coordinators

Local Area Coordinators help you stay safe, well, independent and connected to your local community, they: •help raise awareness of available resources •provide links to local services •support people with a wide range of issues •develop resilience and social inclusion in communities Local Area Coordinators work with individuals and families of all ages and abilities. They take time to get to know you, your family and friends, your carers and your community, so they can help you to build a strong support network. Local Area Coordinators can support you in many ways, such as: •taking steps to make your life better •helping you access a range of information •getting the right help from available services •developing relationships and community networks •getting your voice heard about things that are important to you •helping you find volunteering opportunities Local Area Coordinators currently work in: •Acomb (into Holgate) •Clifton •Guildhall •Haxby and Wigginton •Huntington and New Earswick •Tang Hall (located in Hull Road Ward and Heworth Ward) •Westfield Amy Bates Local Area Coordinator - Acomb into Holgate Telephone: 07957455359 Email: Sally Waudby Local Area Coordinator - Clifton Telephone: 07813993832 Email: Siobhan Moore Local Area Coordinator - Guildhall Telephone: 07534434759 Email: Mary Thompson Local Area Coordinator - Haxby and Wigginton Telephone: 07776456955 Email: Sarah Charlton Local Area Coordinator - Huntington and New Earswick Telephone: 07500997556 Email: Jennie Cox Local Area Coordinator - Tang Hall Telephone: 07795354468 Email: Penny Hutchinson Local Area Coordinator - Westfield Telephone: 07903868742 Email:


York Family Information Service

01904 554444