Skip to content


The people who work at Speak Up are called advocates, they are different to other professionals who work with you.

Advocates can support you to speak up when you feel like no one is listening and can support you be more involved when decisions are being made about you and your future. 

Advocates can make sure you know your rights and help you to get the support you need.

Speak Up provides advocacy to children and young people who are:

In the care of City of York Council.

Subject to a Child Protection Plan.

A care leaver up to the age of 25.

Aged under 18 and wanting to make a complaint about Children's Services at City of York Council.

Aged 16 or 17 and homeless.

A young parent aged under 18 whose child is subject to a Child Protection Plan.


You can find out more about advocacy in the sections below

What is an advocate?

An advocate can

  • Help you express your views

  • Help you work out what you want to say and how to say it

  • Put your views forward for you or help you speak up for yourself

  • Help you prepare for meeting such as reviews or Child Protection meetings

  • Make sure you have information about your rights and entitlements

  • Help you if want to make a complaint about a service or the way you have been treated

An advocate cannot

  • Decide things for you

  • Tell you what to do or give their personal opinion

  • Take other people's side

  • Be a friend, but will always listen and support you

What can you expect form your advocate

Confidentiality - Your advocate will not tell other people anything you have said without your permission, unless they are worried about your safety or the safety of another person.

Your advocate will ask you who you would like them to speak to on your behalf and what you would like them to do.

Independence -  .Your advocate is independent and here just for you. Your advocate works for City of York Council but is separate from the Social Team and your carers.


If you would like to talk to an advocate you can contact us using the details below or ask an adult to contact us on your behalf:

Call / text us: 07769 725174