Financial Support and Benefit

What help will you get with money?

Up to the age of 18, the Pathway Team will pay for your housing wherever you are living. Your basic living expenses are also paid for although this money may go to your carer. 

When you are aged 18 and over, you can claim benefits, if you are not already working, including Housing Benefit. You will therefore stop getting help with living expenses and housing costs from the Pathway Team.

You will be entitled to a Leaving Care Grant when you move into your own housing to help you set up your home. This is to buy essential things like furniture, a fridge and cooker.

Depending on your circumstances there are a number of benefits that you may be entitled to . . .

child drawing of house360
Housing benefit – If you pay rent you may be able to claim housing benefit to help with your rent bill. You can either claim by picking up a housing benefit and council tax claim form at West Offices or by downloading/printing it on
Council tax support – Council Tax Support (CTS) is a type of discount off your council tax bill. CTS is a means tested discount based on your household income and any savings, so people who get welfare benefits and those on low income are likely to qualify. If your savings exceed £16,000 you will not be eligible. You can either claim by picking up a housing benefit and council tax claim form at West Offices or by downloading/printing it on

Income support – To qualify for Income Support you must be all 5 of the following:

  • pregnant or a carer or a lone parent with a child under 5 or, in some cases, unable to work because you’re sick or disabled

  • between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age

  • you have no income or a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings (your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account)

  • working less than 16 hours a week and your partner must also work less than 24 hours a week (you may still qualify if you do unpaid voluntary work or go on parental or paternity leave).

  • living in England, Scotland or Wales

Also, you qualify if you’re in full-time education (excluding university), are aged between 16 and 20 and are one of the following:

  • a parent

  • not living with a parent or someone acting as a parent

  • a refugee learning English

You can claim Income Support by phone. Contact Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688. Or you can you can fill out a claim form on GOV.UK. Print it out and post it to your local Jobcentre plus office.


Employment and Support Allowance - Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is a benefit for people who are unable to work due to illness or disability. You must have a Work Capability Assessment while your ESA claim is being assessed. This is to see to what extent your illness or disability affects your ability to work. The quickest way to apply for Employment and Support Allowance is by phone on 0800 055 6688. You can also fill in and print out the ESA1 form and send or take it to your local Jobcentre Plus office.

Universal Credit – You may be able to claim Universal Credit instead of certain benefits if you’re on a low income or out of work. To apply for universal credit


You can get further advice on benefits at: or





House money

Useful documents

Useful websites